Vijayakant warned of being issued a NBW
Chennai: A local court on Thursday warned DMDK leader Vijayakant that he would be served with non-bailable warrant if he failed to appear before it for the next hearing in a defamation case filed by the state government.
The case pertained to an interview by Vijayakant to Captain TV, owned by him on October 26 last, which was allegedly treated as defamatory against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and a criminal defamation case was filed against him.
Vijayakant, who is facing a series of defamation cases filed by the government, had to appear in the case before the Principal Sessions Judge G Chokkalingam.
Following his non-appearance, an NBW was already issued but it was later recalled after Vijayakant`s counsel filed a petition assuring that the actor-turned politician would make his appearance today.
But when the case came up, counsel for Vijayakant submitted that because of his previous engagements on the eve of Krishna Jayanthi, he was unable to appear.
The judge warned that he was adjourning the matter to September 12 and if Vijayakant did not appear, he would be served with an NBW.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview