Vijayakanth files petition seeking to quash FIR against him
Madurai: DMDK leader Vijayakanth on Friday filed a petition before the Madras High Court Bench here seeking to quash an FIR registered against him on the charges of attempting to murder a government advocate in July.
In his petition, the actor-turned-politician said the case was a fabricated one and liable to be quashed. He also sought a stay on the proceedings on the FIR.
The FIR was registered against Vijayakanth following a complaint at Kottar police station in Kanyakumari and included charges of attempt to murder and criminal intimidation. The FIR was lodged after Vijayakanth`s lawyers allegedly clashed with other advocates, including Public Prosecutor A Gnanasekaran, in the district court on July 1 when he appeared in connection with a defamation case for allegedly making defamatory statements against Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
He contended that he did not engage in any act resulting in assault or using criminal force to deter the advocate from discharging his duty. The case was purely politically motivated and abuse of the process of law. Besides, a report by Principal District and Sessions Judge had said that the complaint of the advocate was false, Vijayakanth said in his petition.
Soon after the incident, Gnanasekaran had lodged a police complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- More than 9 lakh people participated in the oath-taking ceremony of Donald Trump
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog