Vijayakanth files petition seeking to quash FIR against him
Madurai: DMDK leader Vijayakanth on Friday filed a petition before the Madras High Court Bench here seeking to quash an FIR registered against him on the charges of attempting to murder a government advocate in July.
In his petition, the actor-turned-politician said the case was a fabricated one and liable to be quashed. He also sought a stay on the proceedings on the FIR.
The FIR was registered against Vijayakanth following a complaint at Kottar police station in Kanyakumari and included charges of attempt to murder and criminal intimidation. The FIR was lodged after Vijayakanth`s lawyers allegedly clashed with other advocates, including Public Prosecutor A Gnanasekaran, in the district court on July 1 when he appeared in connection with a defamation case for allegedly making defamatory statements against Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
He contended that he did not engage in any act resulting in assault or using criminal force to deter the advocate from discharging his duty. The case was purely politically motivated and abuse of the process of law. Besides, a report by Principal District and Sessions Judge had said that the complaint of the advocate was false, Vijayakanth said in his petition.
Soon after the incident, Gnanasekaran had lodged a police complaint.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`