Vijaykant moves HC on suspension from Assembly
Chennai: Actor-politician Vijayakant of DMDK
has moved the Madras High Court challenging February 2 Tamil
Nadu Assembly resolution suspending him from the House for ten
days following a recommendation by the privileges committee.
Justice S Rajeswaran, before whom the petition came up,
posted it to March 2 to enable the Assembly Secretary to argue
on the maintainability and the prayer for a stay of the
The government pleader took notice on behalf of the
Vijaykant, who was suspended for committing a breach of
privilege during an acrimonious exchange with Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa, sought declaration of the resolution as
`unconstitutional, illegal, null and void`.
He said since he was suspended just three days before the
session ended on February 4, he would have to undergo the
remaining seven days of suspension in the next Assembly
Vijaykant, leader of the Opposition in the Assembly,
submitted that depriving him of membership of the assembly and
preventing him from functioning as MLA during the interregnum
period "will amount to assumption of extra power by the House
in violation of the Constitutional provisions".
"The judiciary has to come to the rescue and take
remedial measures" if the ruling party thwarted the freedom of
speech and expression of an elected representative by
discrimination and unfair means, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged