Vijaykant moves HC on suspension from Assembly
Chennai: Actor-politician Vijayakant of DMDK
has moved the Madras High Court challenging February 2 Tamil
Nadu Assembly resolution suspending him from the House for ten
days following a recommendation by the privileges committee.
Justice S Rajeswaran, before whom the petition came up,
posted it to March 2 to enable the Assembly Secretary to argue
on the maintainability and the prayer for a stay of the
The government pleader took notice on behalf of the
Vijaykant, who was suspended for committing a breach of
privilege during an acrimonious exchange with Chief Minister
Jayalalithaa, sought declaration of the resolution as
`unconstitutional, illegal, null and void`.
He said since he was suspended just three days before the
session ended on February 4, he would have to undergo the
remaining seven days of suspension in the next Assembly
Vijaykant, leader of the Opposition in the Assembly,
submitted that depriving him of membership of the assembly and
preventing him from functioning as MLA during the interregnum
period "will amount to assumption of extra power by the House
in violation of the Constitutional provisions".
"The judiciary has to come to the rescue and take
remedial measures" if the ruling party thwarted the freedom of
speech and expression of an elected representative by
discrimination and unfair means, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mikhail emailed sister Sheena Bora's resignation letter: Report
- Watch: Wife catches husband with his girlfriend at Goa Airport
- Shiv Sena announces award of 2 lakh for Hindu families with 5 kids
- Sheena Bora murder: DNA sample to reveal the truth
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- Know box-office report of Saif-Katrina's 'Phantom'
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Bihar polls 2015: Lalu pacifies 'upset' Mulayam ahead of Mahagatbandhan rally, offers 5 seats to SP
- Sheena murder case: Villager helps locate spot where body was buried