Vijaykanth suspended from TN Assembly
Chennai: In an unusual action, Leader of Opposition in Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykanth was Thursday suspended for 10 days for breach of privilege during a heated exchange with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
Speaker D Jayakumar`s action against the actor-politician came a day after he and his DMDK MLAs were evicted en masse capping an acrimonious exchange with Jayalalithaa.
As the House met for the day, Jayakumar announced
Vijaykanth`s suspension on recommendations of the Privileges
Committee. This led to spontaneous protests by DMDK members who shouted slogans and walked out after their demand for a discussion on it went unheeded.
Members of DMK and Left parties, who were also part of
the AIADMK-led alliance, also walked out charging the
Jayalalithaa government with being "dictatorial".
The House adopted a resolution moved by Finance Minister
and leader of the House O Pannerselvam after the Privileges
Committee report was tabled.
The other members of DMDK did not face any action, the
Speaker said, adding they would not be spared if they persist
with such behaviour.
Hitting back at Jayalalithaa, Vijaykanth told reporters
outside the House, "Even I am ashamed of this alliance. I was
never for the alliance, but for the desire of my party cadre."
There were many AIADMK members who had pushed him for the
alliance with DMDK. "It`s because of their alliance with us,
they came to power... they forgot and are ungrateful," the
founder leader of DMDK said.
Referring to AIADMK`s short lived tie-up with BJP as an
NDA allay during its 13-month rule, he recalled A B Vajpayee`s
quote, "I am going to have a good sleep" after his government
fell due to withdrawal of support by Jayalalithaa.
"I thought Jayalalithaa has changed, but she is not,"
said Vijaykanth, whose party had contested the civic elections
last year on its own, virtually indicating parting of the ways
between the two allies.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Kejriwal's electricity bill exceeds Rs 1 lakh in two months: RTI
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Bangladeshi newspaper mocks Indian team with half-shaved heads
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him
- Vijender Singh brings down curtains on India career, turns professional
- Manipur ambush: Key NSCN(K) leader involved in killing of 18 Army personnel arrested by NIA