Vijaykanth suspended from TN Assembly
Chennai: In an unusual action, Leader of Opposition in Tamil Nadu Assembly Vijaykanth was Thursday suspended for 10 days for breach of privilege during a heated exchange with Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
Speaker D Jayakumar`s action against the actor-politician came a day after he and his DMDK MLAs were evicted en masse capping an acrimonious exchange with Jayalalithaa.
As the House met for the day, Jayakumar announced
Vijaykanth`s suspension on recommendations of the Privileges
Committee. This led to spontaneous protests by DMDK members who shouted slogans and walked out after their demand for a discussion on it went unheeded.
Members of DMK and Left parties, who were also part of
the AIADMK-led alliance, also walked out charging the
Jayalalithaa government with being "dictatorial".
The House adopted a resolution moved by Finance Minister
and leader of the House O Pannerselvam after the Privileges
Committee report was tabled.
The other members of DMDK did not face any action, the
Speaker said, adding they would not be spared if they persist
with such behaviour.
Hitting back at Jayalalithaa, Vijaykanth told reporters
outside the House, "Even I am ashamed of this alliance. I was
never for the alliance, but for the desire of my party cadre."
There were many AIADMK members who had pushed him for the
alliance with DMDK. "It`s because of their alliance with us,
they came to power... they forgot and are ungrateful," the
founder leader of DMDK said.
Referring to AIADMK`s short lived tie-up with BJP as an
NDA allay during its 13-month rule, he recalled A B Vajpayee`s
quote, "I am going to have a good sleep" after his government
fell due to withdrawal of support by Jayalalithaa.
"I thought Jayalalithaa has changed, but she is not,"
said Vijaykanth, whose party had contested the civic elections
last year on its own, virtually indicating parting of the ways
between the two allies.
- ISRO successfully launches IRNSS-1G into the orbit
- IRNSS-1G launch: It's a great gift to people of India from scientists, says PM Modi
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights?
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part II
- Why should religion become a basis to fight for women's rights? - Part III
- Seer Trikal Bhavanta, who threatened to take 'samadhi' during Simhastha Kumbh, arrested
- VIDEO: That's huge! Watch 11 biggest sixes in Indian Premier League history ever
- Uttarakhand political crisis: BJP offered Rs 50 crore, party tickets and RS seats to Congress MLAs?
- Supreme Court reserves order on conduct of NEET or AIPMT for medical colleges' admission
- IRNSS-1G launch: PM Modi lauds ISRO, says it's a great gift to people of India from scientists