Villagers keep alive `swadeshi` spirit; use only khadi
Udhagamandalam: To keep alive the `swadeshi` spirit of father of the nation Mahatma Gandhi, people in three villages of Nilgiris district still use `Khadi` even after 66 years of independence.
From village elders to children, residing in the picturesque Mynalai, 15 km from here, still use khadi, shunning other fabric. Similar is the case with two other villages-- Madathurai and Kundakaparai.
In 1905, during the Swadeshi (self-sufficiency) movement, as a part of Indian Independence movement, nationalists decided to boycott British products and focused on reviving domestic products and production processes.
The villagers, who participated in the movement, never returned to using other fabrics. And so was the case for the last three generations, locals said, barring a handful, who used garments made of other fabrics while going for duty to other towns, but wore only khadi while in the village.
This was the kind of commitment the villagers had to the call given by Indian leaders, particularly Mahatma Gandhi, said 80-year-old Vishwanathan, the village head of Mynalai. He has been wearing `Indian khadi` for the last 60 years, he said proudly.
There are about 4,500 people in the three villages, with 500 houses. Curtains and upholstery are also made of khadi, indicating the commitment of the villagers to keep the Swadeshi spirit alive.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Candid chat with 'Tamasha' stars Deekipa Padukone, Ranbir Kapoor
- Panel discussion on Rajnath Singh's remarks on secularism in Parliament
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- Bigg Boss, Day 46: Priya Malik urinates inside the car!
- READ: New twist in Karisma Kapoor, Sunjay Kapur divorce saga!
- Tamasha movie review: Poignant and riveting; Ranbir's the master here!