Villagers launch fast-unto-death against thermal power project
Nagapattinam (TN): After Kudankulam nuclear power plant, another energy project in Tamil Nadu has run into opposition with around 200 residents of Vellakovil village in this district on Saturday launching a `fast-unto-death` against the proposed 1,200 MW coal-based private thermal power plant in their area.
The protesters, including women and children, said their agitation would continue till the scrapping of the Rs 8,000 crore project proposed by Chettinadu Power Corporation in about 800 acres in Tarangambadi taluk.
Since December 2012, the fishermen and the people of this area had been organising agitations, including processions and demonstrations, opposing the setting up of the project, contending that it would affect costal ecology and the livelihood of 30,000 people of 25 hamlets.
The plant would also cause extensive air, water and land pollution, they claimed adding it would directly affect about 1,800 acres of agricultural land.
A huge compound wall being constructed by the company would hamper free movement of people between inland and the coast, particularly at times of natural calamities like tsunami, they said.
"Since our repeated demands have fallen on deaf ears, we have been forced to take up this extreme step and we will continue our agitation till the construction work is stopped," they said.
The commissioning of Indo-Russian Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project set up in Tirunelveli District has been delayed due to protests by local people citing safety concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Check cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 10 Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India