Villagers launch fast-unto-death against thermal power project
Nagapattinam (TN): After Kudankulam nuclear power plant, another energy project in Tamil Nadu has run into opposition with around 200 residents of Vellakovil village in this district on Saturday launching a `fast-unto-death` against the proposed 1,200 MW coal-based private thermal power plant in their area.
The protesters, including women and children, said their agitation would continue till the scrapping of the Rs 8,000 crore project proposed by Chettinadu Power Corporation in about 800 acres in Tarangambadi taluk.
Since December 2012, the fishermen and the people of this area had been organising agitations, including processions and demonstrations, opposing the setting up of the project, contending that it would affect costal ecology and the livelihood of 30,000 people of 25 hamlets.
The plant would also cause extensive air, water and land pollution, they claimed adding it would directly affect about 1,800 acres of agricultural land.
A huge compound wall being constructed by the company would hamper free movement of people between inland and the coast, particularly at times of natural calamities like tsunami, they said.
"Since our repeated demands have fallen on deaf ears, we have been forced to take up this extreme step and we will continue our agitation till the construction work is stopped," they said.
The commissioning of Indo-Russian Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project set up in Tirunelveli District has been delayed due to protests by local people citing safety concerns.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Rahul's mails nail Peter Mukerjea's involvement in Sheena Bora murder case?
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan