Villagers launch fast-unto-death against thermal power project
Nagapattinam (TN): After Kudankulam nuclear power plant, another energy project in Tamil Nadu has run into opposition with around 200 residents of Vellakovil village in this district on Saturday launching a `fast-unto-death` against the proposed 1,200 MW coal-based private thermal power plant in their area.
The protesters, including women and children, said their agitation would continue till the scrapping of the Rs 8,000 crore project proposed by Chettinadu Power Corporation in about 800 acres in Tarangambadi taluk.
Since December 2012, the fishermen and the people of this area had been organising agitations, including processions and demonstrations, opposing the setting up of the project, contending that it would affect costal ecology and the livelihood of 30,000 people of 25 hamlets.
The plant would also cause extensive air, water and land pollution, they claimed adding it would directly affect about 1,800 acres of agricultural land.
A huge compound wall being constructed by the company would hamper free movement of people between inland and the coast, particularly at times of natural calamities like tsunami, they said.
"Since our repeated demands have fallen on deaf ears, we have been forced to take up this extreme step and we will continue our agitation till the construction work is stopped," they said.
The commissioning of Indo-Russian Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project set up in Tirunelveli District has been delayed due to protests by local people citing safety concerns.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- All you want to know about Krishna Janmashtami: Muhurat, puja vidhi and timings!
- Tillakaratne Dilshan to retire from international cricket after 3rd ODI, two T20Is against Australia
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games