Villagers observe `black day` against N-plant
Chennai: People in some villages in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district Wednesday observed a `black day` to protest against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, an activist said.
Villagers in Idinthakarai, Kudankulam, Perumanal, Kootapulli and Kuthenkazhi hoisted black flags at their homes, streets and fishing boats, activist M. Pushparayan said.
In Idinthakarai, a group hoisted a black flag at a public place, Pushparayan of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) said over telephone.
For the past one year, villagers have protested against the power project that houses two 1,000-MW atomic power reactors with Russian equipment.
Kudankulam is in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here.
PMANE accuses the central government of signing secret agreements with foreign governments and not disclosing its contents to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?
- IRS website hacked by suspected Pakistani hackers, messages like 'Pakistan Zindabad' posted