Villagers observe `black day` against N-plant
Chennai: People in some villages in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district Wednesday observed a `black day` to protest against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, an activist said.
Villagers in Idinthakarai, Kudankulam, Perumanal, Kootapulli and Kuthenkazhi hoisted black flags at their homes, streets and fishing boats, activist M. Pushparayan said.
In Idinthakarai, a group hoisted a black flag at a public place, Pushparayan of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) said over telephone.
For the past one year, villagers have protested against the power project that houses two 1,000-MW atomic power reactors with Russian equipment.
Kudankulam is in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here.
PMANE accuses the central government of signing secret agreements with foreign governments and not disclosing its contents to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi