Villagers observe `black day` against N-plant
Chennai: People in some villages in Tamil Nadu`s Tirunelveli district Wednesday observed a `black day` to protest against the Kudankulam Nuclear Power Project, an activist said.
Villagers in Idinthakarai, Kudankulam, Perumanal, Kootapulli and Kuthenkazhi hoisted black flags at their homes, streets and fishing boats, activist M. Pushparayan said.
In Idinthakarai, a group hoisted a black flag at a public place, Pushparayan of the People`s Movement Against Nuclear Energy (PMANE) said over telephone.
For the past one year, villagers have protested against the power project that houses two 1,000-MW atomic power reactors with Russian equipment.
Kudankulam is in Tirunelveli district, around 650 km from here.
PMANE accuses the central government of signing secret agreements with foreign governments and not disclosing its contents to the people.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'