Vinayaka Chathurthi celebrated with fervour
Chennai: People across Tamil Nadu
celebrated Vinayaka Chaturthi today with religious fervour.
Special pujas were performed at various temples across the
state. In some temples, `Ganapathy Homam` a ritual seeking
peace and prosperity, was performed as early as 5 AM.
People offered prayers to the God of knowledge and
remover of obstacles and offered him `kozhukattai`, a sweet
south Indian dish.
While some people bought Lord Ganesha idols made of sand
priced at Rs 25 to Rs 100, others preferred to celebrate the
occasion with environmentally friendly idols.
In Chennai, about 5,000 police personnel were deployed in
areas to prevent any untoward incident. Public have been
allowed to keep large size idols at 600 places, police said.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and Governor K
Rosaiah also greeted the people on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral: Why Rameswaram was chosen over New Delhi?