Vinayaka Chathurthi celebrated with fervour
Chennai: People across Tamil Nadu
celebrated Vinayaka Chaturthi today with religious fervour.
Special pujas were performed at various temples across the
state. In some temples, `Ganapathy Homam` a ritual seeking
peace and prosperity, was performed as early as 5 AM.
People offered prayers to the God of knowledge and
remover of obstacles and offered him `kozhukattai`, a sweet
south Indian dish.
While some people bought Lord Ganesha idols made of sand
priced at Rs 25 to Rs 100, others preferred to celebrate the
occasion with environmentally friendly idols.
In Chennai, about 5,000 police personnel were deployed in
areas to prevent any untoward incident. Public have been
allowed to keep large size idols at 600 places, police said.
Tamil Nadu Chief Minister Jayalalithaa and Governor K
Rosaiah also greeted the people on the occasion.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city
- Army orders modern helmets for jawans, can withstand bullets fired from short range
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir