Virginia Tech to open centres in Chennai
New Delhi: Virginia Tech of USA has decided to open three centres of excellence in Chennai dedicated to carrying out high-end research activities and producing sector-specific talents.
This was disclosed by president of Virginia Tech Charles Steger during his interaction with Human Resource Development Minister Kapil Sibal who is on a week-long visit
to USA, said Ministry officials.
Steger said they would be setting up three centres of excellence -- the Centre for critical, technical and advanced science, the Virginia Bio Informatics Centre and the Virginia
Transport and Technical Institute -- with an Indian partner in Chennai.
The president of the institute, one of the leading technical institutes in USA, further said the proposed centres will be established within one year, the official said. The development comes as a major boost to Sibal who has been trying hard to woo foreign varsities to the country.
Virginia Tech is also slated to felicitate him. Sibal is also expected to visit some other institutes in the country to strengthen ties in the field of education between the two countries. During his trip to China last week he met his Chinese counterpart Yuan Guiren where he informed that Indian school students will be able to learn Chinese as it will soon be introduced in the CBSE curriculum.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- DNA: Why depression cases are increasing rapidly in India?
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- Pune Test: Virender Sehwag could have saved India from embarrassment, says former Aussie stars
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...