Voting begins for Pudukottai bypoll
Chennai: Voting for the Pudukottai bypoll began on Tuesday morning as both ruling AIADMK and Opposition DMDK seek to increase their strength by one more in the 234-member Tamil Nadu Assembly.
Voters turned up in good numbers to cast their votes in the bypoll which is seeing a direct face-off between former allies AIADMK and DMDK.
Kathik Thondaiman of AIADMK and DMDK`s Jahir Hussain are in the fray among 18 others even as other opposition parties, DMK and MDMK which had fought the earlier Sankarankoil bypoll, have not fielded their candidates.
Polling has been peaceful so far, police said.
EVMs are being used for the polling process in 224 booths in the constituency. Counting is scheduled for June 15.
AIADMK and DMDK have 149 and 29 members respectively in the Assembly.
The bypoll was necessitated following the death of CPI legislator SP Muthukumaran who was killed in a road accident on April 1.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- 14-year-old pregnant rape survivor allowed abortion by Supreme Court
- Four Indians kidnapped in Libya; Islamic State hand suspected
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!