War of words over TN New year refuses to die down
Chennai: The war of words between arch rivals, DMK president M Karunanidhi and Chief Minister Jayalalithaa over the Tamil New Year refused to die down with the latter insisting that the previous DMK regime had enacted a law to change the Tamil calendar "unilaterally" which "hurt the sentiments of people."
"He did not hold any research (over shifting the New Year from the Tamil month of Chithirai to Thai). He passed an act unilaterally which the people did not accept," Jayalalithaa told the state Assembly.
She observed that despite his government changing the new year from Chithirai (April) to Thai (January), people continue to celebrate the former as Tamil New Year.
She described the DMK`s initiative as "improper and one which hurt the sentiment of people," and said it was an "imposed one."
"I only cancelled the Act (last year after taking over from DMK) but did not impose anything on people," she said.
She recalled that Karunanidhi had made the announcement on altering the calendar at the launch of `Sangamam,` a cultural festival coordinated by his daughter Kanimozhi MP, even before making a formal announcement in the Governor`s address.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video