Whale calf gets trapped in fishing net, dies
Nagapattinam (Tamil Nadu): A whale calf which got trapped in a fishing net off nearby Vedaranyam coast died as efforts by fishermen to save it failed, officials said on Monday.
The 12-foot-long whale calf, weighing about a ton, got entangled accidentally in the net of four fishermen from Seruthur in Vedaranyam last night.
The fishermen tried to rescue it from the net in the sea itself. When they freed it after reaching the shore, it was found dead, they said.
Fisheries officials, on being informed by fishermen, visited the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP win big with 81 seats, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis Maharashtra thanks Maharashtra voters, PM Modi
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: BJP emerges as big winner in Mumbai, sweeps Pune, Amravati, Nagpur, Nashik
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17