Whale calf gets trapped in fishing net, dies
Nagapattinam (Tamil Nadu): A whale calf which got trapped in a fishing net off nearby Vedaranyam coast died as efforts by fishermen to save it failed, officials said on Monday.
The 12-foot-long whale calf, weighing about a ton, got entangled accidentally in the net of four fishermen from Seruthur in Vedaranyam last night.
The fishermen tried to rescue it from the net in the sea itself. When they freed it after reaching the shore, it was found dead, they said.
Fisheries officials, on being informed by fishermen, visited the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- David Cameron warns Brexit would drive up food prices in UK
- "Champion" Dwayne Bravo fined for breaching IPL Code of Conduct
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 56: Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — Players to watch out for
- India Post payments bank will be functional by March 2017: Ravi Shankar Prasad
- Six Assam Rifles personnel killed by militants in Manipur's Chandel district ambush