What action against fireworks units violating norms, asks bench
Madurai: Madurai Bench of Madras High Court has sought to know what action government has taken against fireworks units at Sivakasi which violated norms, leading to frequent accidents.
Justices S Rajeswaran and T Mathivanan, hearing a Public Interest Litigation, seeking compensation for the 39 persons killed and injured several others, asked government to inform it about the action taken.
On September 5 2012, 39 persons were killed in a fire in a fireworks manufacturing unit in Sivakasi.
The Additional Solicitor General said the factory`s license had been cancelled based on a report of a commission constituted by the Centre. Other units which violated the norms had been issued warning notices, he said.
The judges asked the ASG to find out if the units had implemented safety measures as per rules.
Hearing another writ filed by one G Murugesan whose son lost his limbs in the fire, the judges asked the ASG to ascertain if all the people had been given compensation.
They asked Dr Pranab Nirmal of Sivakasi Government hospital and Subbulakshmi, Virudhunagar Collector`s Personal Assistant, to visit the hospital here and assess his condition.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: There are no shortcuts to success, says Dr Chandra
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea's ex-husband Sanjeev Khanna, driver taken to Raigad to recreate crime scene
- Wife catches husband along with his girlfriend at Goa airport, video goes viral – Watch
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?