White tiger cubs adopted by TN Tourism Corporation
Chennai: Three white tiger cubs in the
Vandalur Zoo here have been adopted by Tamil Nadu Tourism
Development Corporation (TTDC) under the `Adopt an animal`
programme of the Forest Department.
State Tourism Secretary Irai Anbu handed over a cheque for
Rs 3.78 lakh towards adoption charges to the additional Forest
Department Secretary Debendranath Sarangi, an official release
here today said.
The adoption programme was started in September 2008 with
the aim of creating awareness and sensitising people on animal
care and affection.
At present, TTDC is running an air-conditioned hotel inside
the zoo premises. A week`s collection from the restaurant
would be spent for maintaining the adopted cubs, it said.
Zoo officials said the six-year-old white tigress Anu had
given birth to three cubs on June 6 this year. With their
addition, the number of white tigers in the zoo has risen to
seven and the total number of tigers to 15.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India