White tiger cubs adopted by TN Tourism Corporation
Chennai: Three white tiger cubs in the
Vandalur Zoo here have been adopted by Tamil Nadu Tourism
Development Corporation (TTDC) under the `Adopt an animal`
programme of the Forest Department.
State Tourism Secretary Irai Anbu handed over a cheque for
Rs 3.78 lakh towards adoption charges to the additional Forest
Department Secretary Debendranath Sarangi, an official release
here today said.
The adoption programme was started in September 2008 with
the aim of creating awareness and sensitising people on animal
care and affection.
At present, TTDC is running an air-conditioned hotel inside
the zoo premises. A week`s collection from the restaurant
would be spent for maintaining the adopted cubs, it said.
Zoo officials said the six-year-old white tigress Anu had
given birth to three cubs on June 6 this year. With their
addition, the number of white tigers in the zoo has risen to
seven and the total number of tigers to 15.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- WATCH: Roger Federer mesmerizes centre court crowd with a 'tweener lob'
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions