Will ensure people from other states face no difficulty: Jaya
Chennai: Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Friday sought to allay fears of violence against people of northeastern states residing in Tamil Nadu, holding that her government will ensure that no person faces any difficulty.
"The state of Tamil Nadu has always been peaceful, and my government will ensure that people from all parts of India living in Tamil Nadu do not face any difficulty," she said as as some northeasterners are leaving the city, fearing possible retribution to the Assam violence.
Thousands of them have fled Bangalore following rumours of attacks on people of northeastern states over the Assam violence.
Holding she had come to know that people from the northeast living in Chennai are worried about their safety, she said, "I would like to assure them that they need not have any apprehension on this count."
"Police are already taking care of their safety," she said in an official statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Here's what Islamic State captors told Indian teachers
- Pakistan releases 163 Indian fishermen as goodwill gesture
- Drishyam earns Rs 17 cr in 2 days, Bajrangi clocks Rs 283 cr
- Washington Mayor calls Michelle Obama 'gorilla face', says 'she is attractive only to monkey man Barack'
- Two Indians freed from ISIS captivity in Libya to head home, fate of other two unknown