Will ensure people from other states face no difficulty: Jaya
Chennai: Chief Minister Jayalalithaa on Friday sought to allay fears of violence against people of northeastern states residing in Tamil Nadu, holding that her government will ensure that no person faces any difficulty.
"The state of Tamil Nadu has always been peaceful, and my government will ensure that people from all parts of India living in Tamil Nadu do not face any difficulty," she said as as some northeasterners are leaving the city, fearing possible retribution to the Assam violence.
Thousands of them have fled Bangalore following rumours of attacks on people of northeastern states over the Assam violence.
Holding she had come to know that people from the northeast living in Chennai are worried about their safety, she said, "I would like to assure them that they need not have any apprehension on this count."
"Police are already taking care of their safety," she said in an official statement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi