Woman dies after wrongly treated for cancer; doctor to pay Rs 5 lakh
New Delhi: A Chennai-based doctor and his nursing home have been directed by apex consumer commission to pay Rs five lakh to the father of a young woman who died after she was given treatment for cancer which she did not have.
The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) held Dr Kurien Joseph and his nursing home guilty of medical negligence for not performing the requisite tests or consulting an oncologist to confirm the woman had cancer before subjecting her to several rounds of chemotherapy.
"In the instant case, the appellants did not conduct the required tests nor did they consult an Oncologist or get biopsy done, which is common procedure undertaken in cases of suspected cancer.... Taking into account these facts, we agree with the order of State Commission and uphold the same. First appeal is, therefore, dismissed," a bench presided by Justice Ashok Bhan said.
The order came on the doctor`s appeal against the state commission`s order holding him guilty of medical negligence and directing him to pay Rs five lakh as compensation, saying it had not adequately appreciated the evidence on record which indicated the patient had cancer.
The state commission`s order had come on the plea of the patient`s father Govindrajan, resident of village Perambakkam in district Thiruvallur of Tamil Nadu, who had alleged that his daughter, G Ushanandhini, was wrongly treated for cancer by Dr Kurien when she was admitted in his nursing home and as a result of the treatment she had died.
The doctor in his plea before the NCDRC had said that the patient was admitted in his nursing home with pregnancy-related problems and was found having ectopic pregnancy, in which the embryo implants outside the uterine cavity.
While her pregnancy was terminated, her preliminary medical reports were suggestive of cancer and, therefore, she was given chemotherapy for the same, the doctor had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM