Woman dies after wrongly treated for cancer; doctor to pay Rs 5 lakh
New Delhi: A Chennai-based doctor and his nursing home have been directed by apex consumer commission to pay Rs five lakh to the father of a young woman who died after she was given treatment for cancer which she did not have.
The National Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission (NCDRC) held Dr Kurien Joseph and his nursing home guilty of medical negligence for not performing the requisite tests or consulting an oncologist to confirm the woman had cancer before subjecting her to several rounds of chemotherapy.
"In the instant case, the appellants did not conduct the required tests nor did they consult an Oncologist or get biopsy done, which is common procedure undertaken in cases of suspected cancer.... Taking into account these facts, we agree with the order of State Commission and uphold the same. First appeal is, therefore, dismissed," a bench presided by Justice Ashok Bhan said.
The order came on the doctor`s appeal against the state commission`s order holding him guilty of medical negligence and directing him to pay Rs five lakh as compensation, saying it had not adequately appreciated the evidence on record which indicated the patient had cancer.
The state commission`s order had come on the plea of the patient`s father Govindrajan, resident of village Perambakkam in district Thiruvallur of Tamil Nadu, who had alleged that his daughter, G Ushanandhini, was wrongly treated for cancer by Dr Kurien when she was admitted in his nursing home and as a result of the treatment she had died.
The doctor in his plea before the NCDRC had said that the patient was admitted in his nursing home with pregnancy-related problems and was found having ectopic pregnancy, in which the embryo implants outside the uterine cavity.
While her pregnancy was terminated, her preliminary medical reports were suggestive of cancer and, therefore, she was given chemotherapy for the same, the doctor had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan chased by a tiger!
- Caught on camera: Woman stealing cell phone in store
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Panel discussion on Kejriwal's poisonous radio ad on Dadri incident
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Salman Khan's songs: Best five!