Woman who posed as `District Collector` of Chennai arrested
Salem: A woman who posed as the `District Collector` of Chennai and conned people over a period of time has been arrested at Edapadi town, police said on Saturday.
They said the matter came to light when the 26-year-old woman went to a hospital there yesterday, to `question` some persons.
At the hospital, she displayed her fake identity card, which bore a forged state government emblem, and said she wanted to question four people injured in clashes between neighbours over a right to a pathway, police said, adding, she also reportedly threatened some doctors.
However hospital staff grew suspicious over her behaviour and informed police, who later rushed to the spot and questioned her.
She then confessed that she had been posing as a fake collector for some time and had cheated a number of people.
The woman was arrested and a case has been lodged against her under various sections of the Indian Penal Code.
Police said her husband was running a browsing centre in the town and had defaulted in repaying bank loans.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Watch video: The epic battle between 'Machli' tigress and a 14-foot-long crocodile!
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- India, Bangladesh swap border enclaves, settle historic dispute; people rejoice
- 'Remembering Dr APJ Abdul Kalam' - President Pranab Mukherjee's photo tribute on Twitter