Women lawyers` body opposes HC decision to work on Sat
Chennai: A day after the Madras High Court
announced that family courts would work on Saturdays and if
need be on Sundays, the Women Lawyers` Association opposed
Chief Justice M Y Eqbal`s initiative.
The family courts are slated to start functioning on
Saturdays from July 10, considering the huge pendency of
The association, at an Emergent General Meeting today,
unanimously resolved to oppose the move, according to an
press statement from it. Association members said it would
affect their domestic work.
Calling for immediate withdrawal of the High Court
Registrar General`s order on the holiday courts, it also
resolved to take necessary steps for sanction of more
additional family courts for speedy disposal of pending cases.
Madras High Court Advocates` Association President R C
Paul Kanagaraj said MHAA was not averse to family courts
working on Saturdays. However, advocates were opposed to
Sunday being a working day as they need at least one day off.
Stating that as a matter of policy the court could not
insist on lawyers attending family courts on Saturdays and
Sundays, Tamil Nadu Advocates Association President S
Prabhakaran added that such sittings would be "annoying".
Prabhakaran also sought setting up of two more family
courts, in addition to the existing ones, to reduce the
pendency of cases.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says