Won’t accept any other leader than Karunanidhi: Azhagiri
Chennai: Karunanidhi`s son and union minister MK Azhagiri has once again opened up the issue of succession in DMK, saying that after his father, he will not accept anyone else as the leader of the party.
In an interview to Tamil magazine `Junior Vikadan`, Azhagiri also opined that he feel that no one could replace Karunanidhi - fondly referred to as Kalaignar - in terms of ‘value of capability’. He, however, pointed out that while Karunanidhi was around, "There was no need to think of any one else."
"After Anna (Periyar), Kalaignar was, is and will be my leader. When he is around, there`s no need of thinking of anybody else. After him I will not accept anybody as DMK leader. Nobody can replace him in terms of his value or capability," Azhagiri son.
Clearly, the battle to succeed Karunanidhi is far from over despite the Chief Minister himself having indicated that he looks at Azhagiri’s younger brother MK Stalin as his possible successor.
In fact the day after Azhagiri was sworn in as the Union Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister, Stalin was appointed as deputy CM of the state, with Karunanidhi handing over all his portfolio`s to him.
Reports had claimed that as per the compromise formula that has been worked out by the family, Stalin was to take the reigns of the party and head the government in the state, while Azhagiri was to focus on politics at the Centre.
But the latest statement indicates that Azhagiri is not yet over with state politics and is unwilling to let Stalin take over complete control over party affairs just yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- 7th Pay Commission: Central govt employees expect Committee on Allowances report in February
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics