Won’t accept any other leader than Karunanidhi: Azhagiri
Chennai: Karunanidhi`s son and union minister MK Azhagiri has once again opened up the issue of succession in DMK, saying that after his father, he will not accept anyone else as the leader of the party.
In an interview to Tamil magazine `Junior Vikadan`, Azhagiri also opined that he feel that no one could replace Karunanidhi - fondly referred to as Kalaignar - in terms of ‘value of capability’. He, however, pointed out that while Karunanidhi was around, "There was no need to think of any one else."
"After Anna (Periyar), Kalaignar was, is and will be my leader. When he is around, there`s no need of thinking of anybody else. After him I will not accept anybody as DMK leader. Nobody can replace him in terms of his value or capability," Azhagiri son.
Clearly, the battle to succeed Karunanidhi is far from over despite the Chief Minister himself having indicated that he looks at Azhagiri’s younger brother MK Stalin as his possible successor.
In fact the day after Azhagiri was sworn in as the Union Chemicals and Fertilisers Minister, Stalin was appointed as deputy CM of the state, with Karunanidhi handing over all his portfolio`s to him.
Reports had claimed that as per the compromise formula that has been worked out by the family, Stalin was to take the reigns of the party and head the government in the state, while Azhagiri was to focus on politics at the Centre.
But the latest statement indicates that Azhagiri is not yet over with state politics and is unwilling to let Stalin take over complete control over party affairs just yet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon
- Kejriwal lists AAP govt's achievements of 100 days, slams Centre's 'dictatorial attitude'
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo