Won`t sacrifice seats for Congress: PMK
Chennai: The PMK, which is part of the DMK-led front in Tamil Nadu, is confident it will not be asked to sacrifice some seats to satisfy the Congress demands for more seats in the Assembly elections.
"Our 31 seats remain intact. We will not be asked to sacrifice seats in favour of some other party," a PMK senior leader said on condition of anonymity.
The ruling DMK has allowed PMK to contest from 31 seats. The two parties are holding discussions to finalise the constituencies for the PMK, whose strongholds are in the northern belt of Tamil Nadu.
According to the DMK, the Congress demand of 63 seats of its choice to contest in the April 13 polls for the 234-member house was unjustifiable.
However, hectic negotiations were held Monday between the leaders of the Congress and DMK in a bid to save the seven-year-old relationship.
According to informed sources, one of the compromise formulas worked out was to agree to the Congress demand of 63 seats by taking away three seats from the PMK quota.
The DMK Tuesday started interviewing aspiring candidates. The interview panel is headed by party leader and Chief Minister M Karunanidhi himself. The interviews will go on till March 13.
DMK senior leader MK Alagiri and Dayanidhi Maran - both central ministers - met Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday night.
The DMK, which has 18 members in the Lok Sabha, is expected to take a decision Tuesday on whether its central ministers should to ahead and quit the government -- or not.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi