Won`t sacrifice seats for Congress: PMK
Chennai: The PMK, which is part of the DMK-led front in Tamil Nadu, is confident it will not be asked to sacrifice some seats to satisfy the Congress demands for more seats in the Assembly elections.
"Our 31 seats remain intact. We will not be asked to sacrifice seats in favour of some other party," a PMK senior leader said on condition of anonymity.
The ruling DMK has allowed PMK to contest from 31 seats. The two parties are holding discussions to finalise the constituencies for the PMK, whose strongholds are in the northern belt of Tamil Nadu.
According to the DMK, the Congress demand of 63 seats of its choice to contest in the April 13 polls for the 234-member house was unjustifiable.
However, hectic negotiations were held Monday between the leaders of the Congress and DMK in a bid to save the seven-year-old relationship.
According to informed sources, one of the compromise formulas worked out was to agree to the Congress demand of 63 seats by taking away three seats from the PMK quota.
The DMK Tuesday started interviewing aspiring candidates. The interview panel is headed by party leader and Chief Minister M Karunanidhi himself. The interviews will go on till March 13.
DMK senior leader MK Alagiri and Dayanidhi Maran - both central ministers - met Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday night.
The DMK, which has 18 members in the Lok Sabha, is expected to take a decision Tuesday on whether its central ministers should to ahead and quit the government -- or not.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know