Worker killed in CISF firing in Neyveli Lignite plant
Chennai: A contract worker was killed Monday when a CISF personnel opened fired following an argument with a group of workers at the Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) plant in Tamil Nadu, an official said.
"As per available information, a group of people led by contract worker Raja tried to enter Mine II. He has no authorisation to enter the mine area," the official told IANS over phone from Neyveli, around 210 km from here.
He said the group of people turned violent following an argument with the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel, who reportedly fired at Raja killing him instantly.
Soon people from the man`s village assembled at the NLC plant and pelted stones at CISF personnel, he said.
Tension prevailed for some time but normalcy was restored after the arrival of police.
Reacting to the firing, MDMK leader Vaiko, in a statement issued here, demanded Rs.10 lakh compensation to the family of the dead worker and employment in NLC to a family member.
DMK`s labour wing general secretary M.Shanmugam demanded the arrest of the CISF personnel who fired three rounds and that they be charged with murder.
"Ever since CISF have come to NLC, such excesses have become a regular feature," Shanmugam claimed.
Demanding a compensation of Rs.25 lakh to the family of deceased worker, T.Velmurugan, founder of political party TVK, urged sending back the paramilitary CISF from NLC and bringing back of the company`s own NLC Security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand