Worker killed in CISF firing in Neyveli Lignite plant
Chennai: A contract worker was killed Monday when a CISF personnel opened fired following an argument with a group of workers at the Neyveli Lignite Corporation (NLC) plant in Tamil Nadu, an official said.
"As per available information, a group of people led by contract worker Raja tried to enter Mine II. He has no authorisation to enter the mine area," the official told IANS over phone from Neyveli, around 210 km from here.
He said the group of people turned violent following an argument with the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel, who reportedly fired at Raja killing him instantly.
Soon people from the man`s village assembled at the NLC plant and pelted stones at CISF personnel, he said.
Tension prevailed for some time but normalcy was restored after the arrival of police.
Reacting to the firing, MDMK leader Vaiko, in a statement issued here, demanded Rs.10 lakh compensation to the family of the dead worker and employment in NLC to a family member.
DMK`s labour wing general secretary M.Shanmugam demanded the arrest of the CISF personnel who fired three rounds and that they be charged with murder.
"Ever since CISF have come to NLC, such excesses have become a regular feature," Shanmugam claimed.
Demanding a compensation of Rs.25 lakh to the family of deceased worker, T.Velmurugan, founder of political party TVK, urged sending back the paramilitary CISF from NLC and bringing back of the company`s own NLC Security.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof