Yercaud by-poll: AIADMK leads
Chennai: The ruling AIADMK was on the winning track Sunday in the Yercaud constituency in Tamil Nadu, with its candidate P. Saroja leading over DMK`s V. Maran by over 4,800 votes.
The Election Commission said that of the 15,729 votes counted, 432 voters had exercised the `None of the Above` option.
Eleven candidates were in the fray in the Yercaud assembly constituency where the by-election was held Dec 4.
The election in the hill station, around 360 km from here, was announced after AIADMK legislator C. Perumal died in July, bringing down the AIADMK strength in the 235-member assembly to 150. Saroja is Perumal`s wife.
This is the fourth assembly by-election in Tamil Nadu after the AIADMK took power in May 2011.
It won all three earlier by-elections -- in Pudukottai, Sankarankoil and Tiruchirapalli (West) constituencies.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- I am surviving only on 25% of my liver today, says Big B
- Aamir Khan's 'intolerance' comment kicks up row
- Ram Mandir in Ayodhya will be built soon, says Thawar Chand Gehlot
- Exclusive: Sudhir Chaudhary in conversation with Aamir Khan on intolerance in India!
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?