Yercaud bypoll: AIADMK petitions EC against DMK`s `malpractices`
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK in Tamil Nadu on Friday levelled charges of electoral malpractices against archrival DMK in bypoll-bound Yercaud (ST) Assembly constituency, and sought `stringent measures` from Election Commission of India.
AIADMK MPs handed over a letter to the EC in New Delhi in which AIADMK Treasurer and Finance Minister O Panneerselvam charged DMK with money distribution among others, a party release said here.
DMK and AIADMK are locked in a direct face-off in the December 4 bypoll to the reserved constituency, election for which was necessitated due to the death of ruling party MLA C Perumal.
Panneerselvam alleged that DMK men under the "instructions and direct supervision" of local leaders T M Selvaganapathy, MP, and S R Sivalingam, Salem DMK District in-charge, were "distributing money, liquor and benefits in kind to voters for the purpose of enhancing their poll prospects."
Claiming that Rs 500 per voter was distributed at 4 am on November 25 in the constituency, he said officials were unable to prevent it as it was done suddenly in the early hours.
Listing out the alleged malpractices by DMK, he said EC should prevent DMK from distributing cash and/or kind, and "threatening the public to vote in their favour," he said, seeking more stringent steps to prevent such acts in order to ensure a free and fair election.
Meanwhile, Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Praveen Kumar announced various measures, including live webcasting of the polling and deployment of 43 `striking forces` contingents and central forces as part of security measures.
A room would be provided in the Salem Collectorate where one representative of each candidate can monitor the webcasting on the poll day, he said in a release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kalam's advisor recalls his last moments with the great scientist
- To Sir with Love: School kids pay tribute to Dr Kalam
- DNA: Complete analysis of APJ Abdul Kalam's life and achievements
- India mourns APJ Abdul Kalam; PM to receive body at Palam airport
- Kalam's body flown to Delhi; PM, Prez lead nation in paying homage
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- India's 'original rocket man': Abdul Kalam's phenomenal contribution to Science
- Parliament pays tributes to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam, calls him 'real gem' of India
- Ready to see Shah Rukh-Salman together on-screen?