Yercaud bypoll: AIADMK petitions EC against DMK`s `malpractices`
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK in Tamil Nadu on Friday levelled charges of electoral malpractices against archrival DMK in bypoll-bound Yercaud (ST) Assembly constituency, and sought `stringent measures` from Election Commission of India.
AIADMK MPs handed over a letter to the EC in New Delhi in which AIADMK Treasurer and Finance Minister O Panneerselvam charged DMK with money distribution among others, a party release said here.
DMK and AIADMK are locked in a direct face-off in the December 4 bypoll to the reserved constituency, election for which was necessitated due to the death of ruling party MLA C Perumal.
Panneerselvam alleged that DMK men under the "instructions and direct supervision" of local leaders T M Selvaganapathy, MP, and S R Sivalingam, Salem DMK District in-charge, were "distributing money, liquor and benefits in kind to voters for the purpose of enhancing their poll prospects."
Claiming that Rs 500 per voter was distributed at 4 am on November 25 in the constituency, he said officials were unable to prevent it as it was done suddenly in the early hours.
Listing out the alleged malpractices by DMK, he said EC should prevent DMK from distributing cash and/or kind, and "threatening the public to vote in their favour," he said, seeking more stringent steps to prevent such acts in order to ensure a free and fair election.
Meanwhile, Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Praveen Kumar announced various measures, including live webcasting of the polling and deployment of 43 `striking forces` contingents and central forces as part of security measures.
A room would be provided in the Salem Collectorate where one representative of each candidate can monitor the webcasting on the poll day, he said in a release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- Anurag Kashyap to bid goodbye to India, settle in 'cinema-friendly' France!
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly