Yercaud bypoll: AIADMK petitions EC against DMK`s `malpractices`
Chennai: Ruling AIADMK in Tamil Nadu on Friday levelled charges of electoral malpractices against archrival DMK in bypoll-bound Yercaud (ST) Assembly constituency, and sought `stringent measures` from Election Commission of India.
AIADMK MPs handed over a letter to the EC in New Delhi in which AIADMK Treasurer and Finance Minister O Panneerselvam charged DMK with money distribution among others, a party release said here.
DMK and AIADMK are locked in a direct face-off in the December 4 bypoll to the reserved constituency, election for which was necessitated due to the death of ruling party MLA C Perumal.
Panneerselvam alleged that DMK men under the "instructions and direct supervision" of local leaders T M Selvaganapathy, MP, and S R Sivalingam, Salem DMK District in-charge, were "distributing money, liquor and benefits in kind to voters for the purpose of enhancing their poll prospects."
Claiming that Rs 500 per voter was distributed at 4 am on November 25 in the constituency, he said officials were unable to prevent it as it was done suddenly in the early hours.
Listing out the alleged malpractices by DMK, he said EC should prevent DMK from distributing cash and/or kind, and "threatening the public to vote in their favour," he said, seeking more stringent steps to prevent such acts in order to ensure a free and fair election.
Meanwhile, Chief Electoral Officer (CEO) Praveen Kumar announced various measures, including live webcasting of the polling and deployment of 43 `striking forces` contingents and central forces as part of security measures.
A room would be provided in the Salem Collectorate where one representative of each candidate can monitor the webcasting on the poll day, he said in a release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Former bureaucrat BK Bansal commits suicide along with his son at Delhi residence
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list
- This Hindu-dominated village in West Bengal is not allowed to organise Durga Puja as Muslims don't want it
- As Pakistan gloats over hosting 70 Russians, 250 Indian Army soldiers renew bonds in Vladivostok