Yercaud bypolls: EC notice to Jayalalithaa for violating model code of conduct
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: The Election Commission on Monday issued a notice to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalitha for allegedly violating the model code of conduct ahead of the December 4 Yercaud bypoll.
The EC notice was issued in response to a complaint filed by M Karunanidhi-led DMK in this regard.
In its petition to the Chief Election Commissioner and the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), the DMK sought action against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for alleged violations of the model code of conduct and abuse of power during her campaigning for the Yercaud Assembly by-election recently.
DMK leaders T.K.S. Elangovan, MP and I. Paranthamen met the CEO and handed over a memorandum alleging that hundreds of schoolchildren from Government schools in Salem district, teachers and Education department officers were brought to the places visited by Ms. Jayalalithaa and made to stand for an indefinite period.
Holding the Chief Minister squarely responsible for the abuse of power and misuse of government machinery to assemble crowds, the memorandum sought appropriate action against Jayalalithaa, Education Minister, Education Secretary, Salem District Collector and other officials.
In another memorandum, the DMK leaders alleged that the Chief Minister in her rally speech at Minnampalli announced various schemes specific to the voters in the constituency in violation of the model code of conduct.
Holding that as Chief Minister, who holds the highest office in the State, she ought not to have made such promises aimed at influencing voters, the DMK said and demanded action for violation of the model code of conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- 'Mann ki Baat': World is keen to know more about India, says PM Modi
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- BJP can give even Dawood Ibrahim a clean chit: Digvijay Singh
- India likely to rest MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli for Zimbabwe tour
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak