Yercaud bypolls: EC notice to Jayalalithaa for violating model code of conduct
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: The Election Commission on Monday issued a notice to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalitha for allegedly violating the model code of conduct ahead of the December 4 Yercaud bypoll.
The EC notice was issued in response to a complaint filed by M Karunanidhi-led DMK in this regard.
In its petition to the Chief Election Commissioner and the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), the DMK sought action against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for alleged violations of the model code of conduct and abuse of power during her campaigning for the Yercaud Assembly by-election recently.
DMK leaders T.K.S. Elangovan, MP and I. Paranthamen met the CEO and handed over a memorandum alleging that hundreds of schoolchildren from Government schools in Salem district, teachers and Education department officers were brought to the places visited by Ms. Jayalalithaa and made to stand for an indefinite period.
Holding the Chief Minister squarely responsible for the abuse of power and misuse of government machinery to assemble crowds, the memorandum sought appropriate action against Jayalalithaa, Education Minister, Education Secretary, Salem District Collector and other officials.
In another memorandum, the DMK leaders alleged that the Chief Minister in her rally speech at Minnampalli announced various schemes specific to the voters in the constituency in violation of the model code of conduct.
Holding that as Chief Minister, who holds the highest office in the State, she ought not to have made such promises aimed at influencing voters, the DMK said and demanded action for violation of the model code of conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?