Yercaud bypolls: EC notice to Jayalalithaa for violating model code of conduct
Zee Media Bureau
Chennai: The Election Commission on Monday issued a notice to Tamil Nadu Chief Minister and AIADMK chief J Jayalalitha for allegedly violating the model code of conduct ahead of the December 4 Yercaud bypoll.
The EC notice was issued in response to a complaint filed by M Karunanidhi-led DMK in this regard.
In its petition to the Chief Election Commissioner and the Chief Electoral Officer (CEO), the DMK sought action against Chief Minister Jayalalithaa for alleged violations of the model code of conduct and abuse of power during her campaigning for the Yercaud Assembly by-election recently.
DMK leaders T.K.S. Elangovan, MP and I. Paranthamen met the CEO and handed over a memorandum alleging that hundreds of schoolchildren from Government schools in Salem district, teachers and Education department officers were brought to the places visited by Ms. Jayalalithaa and made to stand for an indefinite period.
Holding the Chief Minister squarely responsible for the abuse of power and misuse of government machinery to assemble crowds, the memorandum sought appropriate action against Jayalalithaa, Education Minister, Education Secretary, Salem District Collector and other officials.
In another memorandum, the DMK leaders alleged that the Chief Minister in her rally speech at Minnampalli announced various schemes specific to the voters in the constituency in violation of the model code of conduct.
Holding that as Chief Minister, who holds the highest office in the State, she ought not to have made such promises aimed at influencing voters, the DMK said and demanded action for violation of the model code of conduct.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’