Youth crushed to death by lorry
Tirunelveli: Days after an IPS officer was killed allegedly by the mining mafia in Madhya Pradesh, a young man met a similar fate at Tisyanvilai here on Sunday when he reportedly tried to stop lorry carrying illegally quarried sand from a river.
21-year-old Satish Kumar was run over by the lorry carrying sand from the river bed when he tried to block its path along with 20 villagers, police said.
The villagers, fearing for their lives, fled the scene after the incident, they said.
The lorry driver has been arrested and a murder case filed against him and the vehicle owner, an AIADMK councilor of Nanguneri panchayat, police said.
On March 8, 30-year-old IPS officer Narendra Kumar Singh was crushed under the wheels of a tractor-trolley driven by an alleged member of the mining mafia in Madhya Pradesh`s Morena district when he tried to stop the vehicle carrying stones.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, Pune ODI: MS Dhoni still the boss; convinces Virat Kohli with spot on DRS call — WATCH
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre