Bypoll:TDP to field Urban Dev Minister for vacant Council seat
Hyderabad: The ruling Telugu Desam Party will field State Urban Development Minister P Narayana for the lone Legislative Council seat in Andhra Pradesh for which by-election is due on August 21.
Narayana, who also runs the Narayana group of educational institutions, was inducted into Chandrababu Naidu`s cabinet on June 8. However, he is not a member of either House of the Legislative Assembly.
The Legislative Council seat fell vacant on May 21 after sitting Congress member K Veerabhadra Swamy resigned, though his term is up to March 29, 2019.
TDP officials said Narayana is the "obvious choice" for the seat as he has to be elected to the Legislature within six months from June 8.
The Election Commission of India announced the poll schedule to fill the vacancy under the MLAs quota and the formal notification will be issued on August 4.
The last date for filing the nominations is August 11 and the last date for withdrawal is 14th.
Polling, if required, will be held on August 21 and the result will be announced thesame day, according to the state Chief Electoral Officer.
TDP expects that Narayana will be elected unanimously given its majority in the 175 member Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31