Checking of school buses continues in Telangana for second day
Hyderabad: Transport authorities in Telangana continued checking of school buses for the second day Saturday in the wake of Thursday`s tragic accident in Medak district which claimed the lives of 14 students.
The Road Transport Authority (RTA) officials seized 10 buses and registered cases against several others for violation of norms. They also served notices to managements of the concerned private schools.
In an attempt to enforce safety measures, the RTA authorities launched a state-wide drive to inspect the vehicles. On the first day, 148 buses were booked in all 10 districts. They also seized 20 buses for serious violation of rules.
Besides checking the fitness of vehicles, the officers are also verifying the licenses of drivers and if they are using mobile phones while driving.
Action is also being taken for rash and negligent driving, overloading of vehicles, absence of attendants to help children board the buses and lack of first aid box and other safety measures.
The RTA is focusing on Hyderabad and neighbouring Ranga Reddy district as over 2,000 school buses ply here. The department also plans to organise a program to train the drivers on the safety precautions especially at unmanned rail-road crossings.
Fourteen children of a private school were killed and 20 others injured Thursday when a train rammed into school bus at unmanned rail-road crossing at Masayipet village in Medak district.
The driver and cleaner of the bus were also killed in the accident.
An eyewitness claimed to have seen driver speaking on his mobile phone while trying to speed past the crossing. He was also said to be a part-time driver hired by the school as the regular driver was on leave.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- DNA: Analyzing the role of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose in Indian Independence
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore