Telangana Assembly pays tributes to martyrs
Hyderabad: The Telangana Assembly Saturday paid rich tributes to those who laid down their lives for the formation of the separate state.
On the last day of the Assembly`s first session, Chief Minister K Chandrasekhara Rao moved a resolution to pay tributes to the martyrs.
He said 369 students died in police firing during the movement in 1969, while about 1,200 people laid down their lives in the second phase of the agitation.
KCR, as Rao is popularly known, said he was moved by the suicide of K Srikant Chary, who was the first to end his life for Telangana during the second phase of agitation in 2009.
He also paid tributes to Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) ideologue Jayashankar and said it was sad that he is not around when the goal is reached. The chief minister recalled that Jayashankar had participated in the movement as a student and he was concerned over the youth laying down their lives.
The opposition Congress and the Telugu Desam Party (TDP) supported the resolution. Congress member G Chinna Reddy said the role played by students in the movement would always be remembered.
TDP`s Revanth Reddy demanded the government build a memorial for Srikant Chary.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- J Jayalalithaa passes away: Know what all she left behind in assets