130 tourists stranded in Lakshadweep
Kochi: About 130 domestic tourists, including 26 children, are stranded at Kalpeni island in Lakshwadeep after locals prevented them from boarding a boat to reach
their passenger vessel following an altercation with port authorities over some issue.
The tourists had come to Kalpeni from Kavaretti island
this morning. They were to go back this evening after a day-
long visit to Kalpeni but were not allowed by the locals to
board the boat at the harbour, one of the tourists Kiran Vyas
The locals were miffed with the port authorities over
some issue, tourists said.
Vyas, who hails from Gandhinagar in Gujarat, said he had
come to Lakshwadeep with his family. After sightseeing at
Kalpeni, they were to return by 5.30 pm to Kavaretti, he said.
Another tourist Minal Dave, also from Gujarat, said he
had paid Rs 20,000 per person for a five-day package.
There was no accommodation at Kalpeni and they were
stranded in a tourist hut which does not have rooms, she said.
"We have no permission for night stay," she said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: 7th anniversary of 26/11 attacks, Nation pays homage to martyrs
- Jabalpur woman commits suicide over Aamir Khan's 'intolerance row'
- Minor girl allegedly gang-raped in Mumbai
- ISI plotting terror attacks on India in December: Sources