23 persons evacuated after fire in building
Puducherry: A fire on Thursday broke out in a bank office on the first floor of a building after which twenty three employees of two firms were evacuated from the premises, police said here.
The fire started when an air conditioner suddenly burst into flames after being switched on, a spokesman of the bank said.
The flames were doused by 15 fire tenders after a four hour battle, fire officials said.
All the trapped persons were helped out by fire and rescue service personnel through the rear side of the building, they said.
An ATM machine, computers and other equipment in the bank was damaged and the actual loss was being ascertained, fire service personnel said.
Twenty of those evacuated were from a private architect`s firm and three, including a woman, from the bank. There was no employee in the insurance firm on the second floor as it had not yet opened for business.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- J&K: Suspected Pakistani spy arrested in Samba district
- DNA: Reporting on war against ISIS in Mosul
- LIVE Cricket Score, IND vs NZ, 3rd ODI: Kohli-Dhoni stand keeps India in hunt
- Hema Malini did not accept land for dance academy: Government to HC
- Seven Pak rangers, one militant killed in retaliatory firing by BSF on Jammu border
- Samajwadi Party feud LIVE: After his sacking, Ramgopal Yadav writes to Mulayam, says 'you're surrounded by evil forces'
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes