AIADMK legislators cause flutter in Assembly
Puducherry: Opposition AIADMK legislators P Purushothaman and M Periyasamy on Monday caused flutter for a while in the Assembly during debate on the budget the Chief Minister N Rangasamy presented in the House on July 15 when they suddenly climbed up and stood on their respective chairs.
The MLAs rose from their seats to tell the Speaker V Sabapathy that they were not getting information of any functions or events in local temples in their constituencies.
AIADMK legislature party leader A Anbalagan criticised the claim by Chief Minister that almost all the public sector undertakings were in distress and poor financial condition.
Anbalagan said MLAs were not kept informed of any functions or events in their respective constituencies.
Appointments of special officers also took place without any formal intimation to them, Purushothaman and Periyasamy they said and stood upon their respective chairs to air their grievances taking the Speaker and others by surprise.
After shouting for a while, they came down and sat on their seats.
Earlier Leader of the opposition V Vaithilingam (Cong) and his colleagues P N R Tirumourugan and E Valsaraj staged a walk to mark their protest against the Speaker taking strong exception to the stand of Vaithilingam justifying his appeal to employees retrenched from services to go back to their offices.
Heated arguments erupted between the Speaker and the opposition leader with Speaker disapproving of Vaithilingam`s appeal to the retrenched employees and Vaithilingam justifying it.
Congress legislator Malladi Krishna Rao, elected from Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh, expressed anguish over the absence of action on the part of the government` to extend relief to flood hit Yanam region.
Rao said that none of the officials from Revenue and Disaster Management or Public Works Departments turned up from Puducherry although all the roads and residential areas were flooded.
AIADMK legislator M Periyasamy said that sexual harassment was on the increase in some of the areas in Puducherry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister