AIADMK legislators cause flutter in Assembly
Puducherry: Opposition AIADMK legislators P Purushothaman and M Periyasamy on Monday caused flutter for a while in the Assembly during debate on the budget the Chief Minister N Rangasamy presented in the House on July 15 when they suddenly climbed up and stood on their respective chairs.
The MLAs rose from their seats to tell the Speaker V Sabapathy that they were not getting information of any functions or events in local temples in their constituencies.
AIADMK legislature party leader A Anbalagan criticised the claim by Chief Minister that almost all the public sector undertakings were in distress and poor financial condition.
Anbalagan said MLAs were not kept informed of any functions or events in their respective constituencies.
Appointments of special officers also took place without any formal intimation to them, Purushothaman and Periyasamy they said and stood upon their respective chairs to air their grievances taking the Speaker and others by surprise.
After shouting for a while, they came down and sat on their seats.
Earlier Leader of the opposition V Vaithilingam (Cong) and his colleagues P N R Tirumourugan and E Valsaraj staged a walk to mark their protest against the Speaker taking strong exception to the stand of Vaithilingam justifying his appeal to employees retrenched from services to go back to their offices.
Heated arguments erupted between the Speaker and the opposition leader with Speaker disapproving of Vaithilingam`s appeal to the retrenched employees and Vaithilingam justifying it.
Congress legislator Malladi Krishna Rao, elected from Yanam, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh, expressed anguish over the absence of action on the part of the government` to extend relief to flood hit Yanam region.
Rao said that none of the officials from Revenue and Disaster Management or Public Works Departments turned up from Puducherry although all the roads and residential areas were flooded.
AIADMK legislator M Periyasamy said that sexual harassment was on the increase in some of the areas in Puducherry.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism? - Part II
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- David Headley reveals Pakistan's role in 26/11 terror attacks
- UP: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Renowned Urdu poet Nida Fazli dies at 78
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears
- 'Road Romeo' beaten up by brave girl in Allahabad: Watch
- Watch video: Samajwadi Party leader's celebratory firing kills 10-year-old child in Shamli
- Salman Khan miffed with Huma Qureshi –Sohail Khan affair reports?