AINRC announces `unanimous support` to Mukherjee
Puducherry: Puducherry Chief Minister N Rangasamy on Sunday formally announced the `unanimous decision` of his party the AINRC, a breakaway faction of the Congress, to support the UPA Presidential nominee Pranab Mukherjee.
Pranab Mukherjee is a `most capable and efficient leader` and had discharged his duties over the years in the service of the nation, Rangasamy told a press conference here.
Describing Mukherjee as the right choice, Rangasamy said the AINRC government in Puducherry and the AINRC party as a whole supported his candidature.
Replying to a question whether the support of AINRC to the Congress-led UPA candidate, would be a prelude to very important political developments in the future, he said "if it is a future development, let us wait for the future."
He said he had always had high respect for AICC leader Sonia Gandhi.
Rangasamy said Mukherjee had already contacted him over phone a few days ago and he had responded positively to his plea for support to his candidature.
AINRC has a strength of 15 members in the 30-member territorial assembly and enjoys the support of the lone Independent member VMC Sivakumar from outside.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Watch: Reports on final deal of M-777 tanks between India and America
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing