Amusement park to come up in historic Viper Island
New Delhi: The government on Wednesday justified plans to build an amusement park in an island in Andaman and Nicobar despite BJP objections on the ground that it housed a historic prison where many freedom fighters were incarcerated and also sent to gallows.
Maintaining that the Viper Island was in "gross neglect" and there was no activity there, Minister of State for Home R P N Singh said such a project would generate employment and attract more tourists.
He was replying to a calling attention motion in Lok Sabha moved by Bishnupada Ray (BJP) who said the Marina project, being developed by a Malaysian company, was coming up in the island where British rulers used to send freedom fighters.
Many prisoners faced brutal torture and were sent to gallows at this island prison, which came up before the Cellular Jail was built in Port Blair.
In his motion, Ray said that a Malaysian company has been permitted to develop 50-berth yacht Marina and a 30-bedded 3-star hotel at Viper Island.
"The area for Marina would be segregated and clearly earmarked causing no interference to the historical monuments," Singh said in his reply.
According to the Minister, the Andaman & Nicobar administration decided to set up the project after a "detailed feasibility study" that took into consideration that the island is uninhabited and techno-economically ideal for the Marina.
"Such a project would also result in generating employment opportunities for local unemployed youth of neighbouring islands apart from generating revenue for government," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'