Andaman boat tragedy: Toll mounts to 22; MHA gets report
Zee Media Bureau
Port Blair/New Delhi: The tragic boat accident in Andaman and Nicobar Islands has once again brought to focus the impunity with which safety guidelines are flouted by boat owners to earn a quick buck.
22 lives were lost in the tragedy that occurred when tourist boat Aqua Marine carrying 45 people sank off Viper Island, around 25 kilometers from Port Blair, yesterday afternoon.
Local media reports claimed that locals had heard an explosion onboard the boat before it sank rapidly.
A report on the incident has been submitted by the Andaman administration to the Home Ministry today.
There are also allegations that rescue teams reached the site two hours after the accident, leading to an increase in causalities.
While the exact cause of the accident is yet to be ascertained, reports said overcrowding may be one of the reasons for the tragedy as the boat was designed to carry only 25 people.
29 people were rescued. Of the 22 casualties, 17 bodies have been identified. While 21 bodies were found yesterday, one body was found today morning. Most of the dead were from Kanchipuram, they were part of a package tour to the islands.
The rescued have been admitted to the GB Pant hospital. Search is on for the missing.
Administrator of Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Lt. Governor AK Singh has ordered a magisterial inquiry into the incident. Additional district magistrate of South Andaman will conduct the probe.
Singh also announced a compensation of Rs1 Lakh each to the next of kin of the victims.
The owner of the boat has been taken into custody, reports added.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa have expressed sorrow over the deaths.
The Tamil Nadu government has sent officers to Port Blair to assist those struck by the tragedy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'