Andamans boat tragedy: Safety audit of tourist ferries begin
Port Blair: Two days after the ferry tragedy, the Andaman and Nicobar administration on Tuesday began a safety audit of all ferries sailing in and around the islands following a direction of Lt Governor.
A technical team headed by the chief port administrator began verifying the registration and safety compliance of each private tourist ferry, said Rakesh Bali, secretary (IP&T), Andaman and Nicobar administration.
The Lt Governor Lt Gen (retd) AK Singh ordered the safety audit of all ferries sailing in and around the island under which safety standard of operating procedures were to be formulated and updated and compliance ensured, he said.
Meanwhile, additional district magistrate, South Andaman, began an inquiry into the ferry disaster under which the sequence of events and violation of operations would be pinpointed, Bali said.
Denying report of delay in launch of rescue operations, he said that as soon as the police control room and port control tower received information that the ferry was in danger, rescue vessels were immediately mobilised and reached the scene within 20 minutes.
Search operation for one missing person was still on, he said.
A total of 21 person had drowned when an overcrowded tourist ferry capsized in the Andaman Sea near here on Sunday.
Three persons were arrested for the disaster.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- DNA: Analyzing ground reality of life of poor and vagrant people in India
- DNA: Analysis of press conference between Rajnath Singh and Mehbooba Mufti on Kashmir violence
- DNA: Analysis of India's weaknesses in new inventions and discoveries
- DNA: Prasoon Joshi's hard-hitting poem depicting society's mentality towards females
- Stand by what I said about RSS, will never stop fighting its hateful agenda: Rahul Gandhi
- Mercedes to have petrol option for all models in India by September
- Battled empty seats at Olympics but Rio organisers witness record as 133,000 tickets get sold in 1 day for Paralympic Games
- PM Narendra Modi's brother raises arrest of dhaba owner with Indore police chief
- Adani Food's pulses processing unit proposal in SEZ rejected