`Arrest SL Navy men for atrocities on fishermen`
Puducherry: Opposition leader in the Assembly V Vaithilingam Tuesday urged the government to arrest Sri Lankan naval forces allegedly involved in incidents of firing at fishermen and attacks on them.
Participating in the debate on the motion of thanks to the Lt Governor`s address, he said the naval forces of the island republic were shooting at fishermen and damaging their vessles and equipment within Indian territorial waters as seen from the GPS equipment in the vessels.
He recalled some fishermen from Karaikal were seriously injured when Lankan naval forces shot at them and police there have registered cases against them, based on complaints.
Based on this, police in Karaikal could arrest the naval personnel for their act, he said referring to steps taken by Kerala government to arrest the two Italian marines who allegedly shot dead two fishermen off the Kerala coast.
Congress member P L N Thirumurugan from Karaikal drew the attention of the House of the critical condition of a fisherman shot at allegedly by Sri Lankan naval force recently and was hospitalised and urged government to take up the matter seriously and ensure that fishermen of Karaikal carried on their works without threat to their life.
Intervening Vaithilingam said Puducherry could arrest the naval peronnel as done in the case of the incident in Kerala. If such action was taken, it would create fear in the minds of the personnel and they would desist from further attacks.
Speaker V Sabapathy said that this was a good suggestion and could be considered by the government.
V M C Sivakumar (Independent) said it was perplexing why the Central government remained silent even after several fishermen of Tamil nadu and Puducherry faced threat or were injured by Lankan naval personnel. " It is because we only describe the fishermen as those from Tamil Nadu and not as Indian fishermen," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced today at 10 am
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be announced shortly
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide