Attempt to ferry Lankan Tamil refugees to Oz foiled
Puducherry: Police have foiled an attempt to illegally ferry six Sri Lankan Tamil refugees to Australia and detained all of them for questioning.
An intensive search had been launched to arrest another Sri Lankan refugee Jana, who allegedly acted as an agent and agreed to ferry the refugees clandestinely to Australia.
Police said they raided a house at Periyakalapet village on August 2 on a tip off from people that some persons gathered at a house were moving about in a suspicious manner and detained the six refugees, including a five-year-old boy.
All of them are from different refugee camps in Tamil Nadu.
Police said two of the refugees revealed during questioning they had paid between Rs 50,000 and Rs l lakh to Jana to take them to Australia. Relatives of others would pay him the amount after they reached that country, they said.
Police said a case has been registered against Jana under IPC Section 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP polls: PM Modi addresses public rally in Maharajganj
- Are educational institutions becoming a tool to showcase anti-national agendas?
- 15-year old girl stabbed to death in Mumbai
- DU Student Clash : Confrontation among students becomes sensitive, AISA to carry flag march today
- DNA: Post demonetisation, India records 7% GDP growth rate in Q3
- Gurmehar Kaur row: Girl who got 'Shiva stole' gift from PM Narendra Modi says she got rape threat from Congress politician
- Muslims should be cremated, there's no space to bury 20 cr people: BJP MP Sakshi Maharaj
- Yogeshwar Dutt takes a dig at Javed Akhtar after being called 'a hardly literate wrestler'
- No AC, mattress for Sasikala in prison, confirms DIG; may not be shifted to Chennai jail
- Gurmehar-ABVP ruckus: Virender Sehwag represents BCCI not India, says Umar Khalid