Attempt to ferry Lankan Tamil refugees to Oz foiled
Puducherry: Police have foiled an attempt to illegally ferry six Sri Lankan Tamil refugees to Australia and detained all of them for questioning.
An intensive search had been launched to arrest another Sri Lankan refugee Jana, who allegedly acted as an agent and agreed to ferry the refugees clandestinely to Australia.
Police said they raided a house at Periyakalapet village on August 2 on a tip off from people that some persons gathered at a house were moving about in a suspicious manner and detained the six refugees, including a five-year-old boy.
All of them are from different refugee camps in Tamil Nadu.
Police said two of the refugees revealed during questioning they had paid between Rs 50,000 and Rs l lakh to Jana to take them to Australia. Relatives of others would pay him the amount after they reached that country, they said.
Police said a case has been registered against Jana under IPC Section 420 (cheating and dishonestly inducing delivery of property).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Prime Minister Modi's rapidfire politics on Gandhi Jayanti
- DNA: Analysis of Lal Bahadur Shastri's mysterious death
- Bihar will celebrate two Diwalis in 2015, one will be after poll results: Modi
- Is Mahatma Gandhi's name slowly fading away from the minds of the youth?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Lynching case in Dadri: Rahul meets victim Iqlakh's family, says touched by people's desire to maintain harmony
- Watch Video - World's highest glass-bottom bridge opens in China 600 feet above a canyon!