Badal unveils programme for water-logged areas
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Tuesday unveiled a scheme to use several acres of water-logged land in the Malwa belt optimally, by constructing ponds for fisheries under the `Programme for Rehabilitation of the Water logged areas`.
Presiding over a high-level here, Badal while emphasising the need for bailing out the farmers of the state through crop diversification, said special attention needs to paid for helping the farmers of the waterlogged areas, who were battling with the natural tragedy from years.
Underscoring the need for extending a helping hand to such farmers, Badal said the departments` of Animal Husbandry and Fisheries with the active help of the Guru Angad Dev Veterinary Animal Science University must implement this programme with the support of farmers.
He said that the departments along with the University must motivate the farmers to set up fish farms in the water-logged areas so that fish farming could be successfully implemented there.
The Chief Minister also sanctioned an amount of Rs 2 crore for initiating this project.
Badal also gave a nod for setting up two ultra modern goat breeding centres in the state. He constituted a committee to prepare a blueprint regarding the project and asked it to submit its report within a month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- National Geographic's famed ''Afghan Girl'' arrested in Pakistan for forgery
- Hrithik Roshan, Yami Gautam's 'Kaabil' trailer shocks Rakesh Roshan
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH