Badal unveils programme for water-logged areas
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Tuesday unveiled a scheme to use several acres of water-logged land in the Malwa belt optimally, by constructing ponds for fisheries under the `Programme for Rehabilitation of the Water logged areas`.
Presiding over a high-level here, Badal while emphasising the need for bailing out the farmers of the state through crop diversification, said special attention needs to paid for helping the farmers of the waterlogged areas, who were battling with the natural tragedy from years.
Underscoring the need for extending a helping hand to such farmers, Badal said the departments` of Animal Husbandry and Fisheries with the active help of the Guru Angad Dev Veterinary Animal Science University must implement this programme with the support of farmers.
He said that the departments along with the University must motivate the farmers to set up fish farms in the water-logged areas so that fish farming could be successfully implemented there.
The Chief Minister also sanctioned an amount of Rs 2 crore for initiating this project.
Badal also gave a nod for setting up two ultra modern goat breeding centres in the state. He constituted a committee to prepare a blueprint regarding the project and asked it to submit its report within a month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices?
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part II
- Onion farmers' woes: Why are farmers forced to sell onions at lower prices? - Part III
- Clash between two football players leaves one dead
- Is the bread you are buying increasing your risk of cancer?
- IPL 2016, Qualifier 1: Royal Challengers Bangalore vs Gujarat Lions - Players to watch out for
- 'Thithi' to release on June 3
- French PM `relieved` Austrian ecologist beat far-right presidential rival
- We will see how Trinamool MPs return from Delhi: Bengal BJP chief
- Take inspiration from Shilpa Shetty if you wish to lose that post-pregnancy weight!