Badal unveils programme for water-logged areas
Chandigarh: Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal on Tuesday unveiled a scheme to use several acres of water-logged land in the Malwa belt optimally, by constructing ponds for fisheries under the `Programme for Rehabilitation of the Water logged areas`.
Presiding over a high-level here, Badal while emphasising the need for bailing out the farmers of the state through crop diversification, said special attention needs to paid for helping the farmers of the waterlogged areas, who were battling with the natural tragedy from years.
Underscoring the need for extending a helping hand to such farmers, Badal said the departments` of Animal Husbandry and Fisheries with the active help of the Guru Angad Dev Veterinary Animal Science University must implement this programme with the support of farmers.
He said that the departments along with the University must motivate the farmers to set up fish farms in the water-logged areas so that fish farming could be successfully implemented there.
The Chief Minister also sanctioned an amount of Rs 2 crore for initiating this project.
Badal also gave a nod for setting up two ultra modern goat breeding centres in the state. He constituted a committee to prepare a blueprint regarding the project and asked it to submit its report within a month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling