Banking services, industry hit hard in Puducherry
Puducherry: Banking services and industry were hit hard in the union territory in response to the nationwide two day strike call by 11 trade unions from Wednesday.
Industrial units were hit with almost total absence of the workers, a spokesman of the organizing committee of the trade unions said.
Members of the JIPMER Hospital Employees Union observed a dawn to dusk fast at the hospital in support of the strike.
However, there was lack of encouraging response from petty shop owners, roadside tea stalls, vegetable vendors, fleet operators and hoteliers to the call.
Schools functioned normally and autorickshwas plied as usual. Inter state and intra state buses operated normal services.
Police pickets were deployed at all vulnerable points. Office attendance was also normal. Most shops and establishments in key centres in the heart of the town remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists?
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part II
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part III
- Why does media give unnecessary importance to terrorists? - Part IV
- Why are schools insensitive over complexities of poor families?
- No objection to Rajnath attending SAARC meeting in Pak: Congress
- Punjabi films are Surveen Chawla's first love!- READ
- Rafael Nadal will travel to Rio, but injury situation still delicate: David Ferrer
- Mahasweta Devi – the gutsy social activist who took on political bigwigs for the dispossessed
- China says pressing ahead with own anti-missile system