Banking services, industry hit hard in Puducherry
Puducherry: Banking services and industry were hit hard in the union territory in response to the nationwide two day strike call by 11 trade unions from Wednesday.
Industrial units were hit with almost total absence of the workers, a spokesman of the organizing committee of the trade unions said.
Members of the JIPMER Hospital Employees Union observed a dawn to dusk fast at the hospital in support of the strike.
However, there was lack of encouraging response from petty shop owners, roadside tea stalls, vegetable vendors, fleet operators and hoteliers to the call.
Schools functioned normally and autorickshwas plied as usual. Inter state and intra state buses operated normal services.
Police pickets were deployed at all vulnerable points. Office attendance was also normal. Most shops and establishments in key centres in the heart of the town remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sunanda Pushkar murder case: Police may approach court seeking lie detector test on Shashi Tharoor
- Jayalalithaa wins big in RK Nagar by-poll, defeats CPI's Mahendran by over 1.5 lakh votes
- Check JEE (Main) 2015 rank on www.jeemain.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in
- After Pankaja Munde, now Vinod Tawde accused of irregularities in awarding contracts in Maharashtra
- Delhi court restrains release of controversial movie 'Mohalla Assi'