Banking services, industry hit hard in Puducherry
Puducherry: Banking services and industry were hit hard in the union territory in response to the nationwide two day strike call by 11 trade unions from Wednesday.
Industrial units were hit with almost total absence of the workers, a spokesman of the organizing committee of the trade unions said.
Members of the JIPMER Hospital Employees Union observed a dawn to dusk fast at the hospital in support of the strike.
However, there was lack of encouraging response from petty shop owners, roadside tea stalls, vegetable vendors, fleet operators and hoteliers to the call.
Schools functioned normally and autorickshwas plied as usual. Inter state and intra state buses operated normal services.
Police pickets were deployed at all vulnerable points. Office attendance was also normal. Most shops and establishments in key centres in the heart of the town remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch