Banking services, industry hit hard in Puducherry
Puducherry: Banking services and industry were hit hard in the union territory in response to the nationwide two day strike call by 11 trade unions from Wednesday.
Industrial units were hit with almost total absence of the workers, a spokesman of the organizing committee of the trade unions said.
Members of the JIPMER Hospital Employees Union observed a dawn to dusk fast at the hospital in support of the strike.
However, there was lack of encouraging response from petty shop owners, roadside tea stalls, vegetable vendors, fleet operators and hoteliers to the call.
Schools functioned normally and autorickshwas plied as usual. Inter state and intra state buses operated normal services.
Police pickets were deployed at all vulnerable points. Office attendance was also normal. Most shops and establishments in key centres in the heart of the town remained closed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 'Achhe din': Residents of PM Modi's adopted village to get free electricity, work in full swing
- Deepika Padukone, Vin Diesel in first ‘xXx: The Return of Xander Cage’ video – Watch
- Siachen miracle: Lance Naik Koppad's wife terms her husband's 'news of being alive' as 'rebirth for family'
- How Lance Naik Hanumanthappa survived 6 days below 25 feet of snow in Siachen
- See pic: Call for further study after discovery of baboon-like creature on Mars!