Birth anniversary of first CM of Puducherry celebrated
Puducherry: Chief Minister N Rangasamy garlanded the statue of the first CM of the union territory Edouard Goubert on his 120th birth anniversary on Tuesday.
Goubert was the first Chief Minister of Puducherry after de jure liberation in 1962. He was also Mayor of Puducherry and led the Congress party as its president here.
Among those who paid floral tributes at the leader`s statue in Bharathi Park were Ministers, legislators, delegates of various voluntary organisations and leaders of various political parties.
PCC president AV Subramanian led party cadres to pay homage at Goubert`s statue after a function in the party office.
Goubert was popularly called `papa Goubert` (father Goubert) and because of his close rapport with the then Prime Minister Jawaharlal Nehru, brought about many developmental projects after merger of Puducherry, chief among which was establishment of JIPMER.
He headed the Puducherry Municipal council established under the French system of Municipal Administration from 1968 to 1973. He was fluent in French.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state