Cabinet nod for chopper services in Lakshadweep
New Delhi: The Cabinet has approved Pawan Hans helicopter services for inter-island connectivity in the Lakshadweep islands for five years, Finance Minister P Chidambaram said on Friday.
The Cabinet on Thursday also approved a proposal to meet the cost of chartering helicopters from Pawan Hans company by the central government at a subsidy of Rs 1,900.64 lakh per annum, Chidambaram said.
The company has been providing helicopter services in the union territory of Lakshadweep since 1987.
Helicopter services have become a part of the transport and communication system in the Lakshadweep islands during the last 25 years for inter-island movement, particularly during the monsoon when movement of ships and ferries is severely restricted.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof