Chidambaram to visit Andaman Nicobar on Jan 21-22
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram will
undertake a two-day visit to Andaman and Nicobar Islands
beginning January 21 to take stock of various development
programmes being carried out there by the Union Territory
The visit comes amidst reports of alleged exploitation of
primitive tribals, who were forced to dance before tourists in
return of food.
During the pre-scheduled visit, Chidambaram will review
various development projects, including health, sanitation,
drinking water and road, being implemented in the group of
islands by the Union Territory administration which reports to
the Union Home Ministry, official sources said.
The issue of exploitation of Jarawa tribals is likely to
figure in the meetings to be taken by Chidambaram and he may
give directions to the local authorities to stop repeat of
such incidents in future and take corrective steps.
He is also expected to take stock of the coastal security
scheme being implemented by the Home Ministry as part of its
initiative taken to secure the country`s coastline.
The Home Minister is also likely to visit a few tsunami
(2004) affected areas in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands where
the reconstruction works were carried out by his Ministry
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday