Chidambaram to visit Andaman Nicobar on Jan 21-22
New Delhi: Home Minister P Chidambaram will
undertake a two-day visit to Andaman and Nicobar Islands
beginning January 21 to take stock of various development
programmes being carried out there by the Union Territory
The visit comes amidst reports of alleged exploitation of
primitive tribals, who were forced to dance before tourists in
return of food.
During the pre-scheduled visit, Chidambaram will review
various development projects, including health, sanitation,
drinking water and road, being implemented in the group of
islands by the Union Territory administration which reports to
the Union Home Ministry, official sources said.
The issue of exploitation of Jarawa tribals is likely to
figure in the meetings to be taken by Chidambaram and he may
give directions to the local authorities to stop repeat of
such incidents in future and take corrective steps.
He is also expected to take stock of the coastal security
scheme being implemented by the Home Ministry as part of its
initiative taken to secure the country`s coastline.
The Home Minister is also likely to visit a few tsunami
(2004) affected areas in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands where
the reconstruction works were carried out by his Ministry
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Political war of words erupts over Yakub Memon's execution
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How do you cope up with ever changing environment in life?
- Exclusive interview with APJ Abdul Kalam’s aide Srijan Pal Singh
- Russian aircraft Mi-28 crashes during an aerobatics show
- Shravan month begins, devotees throng Shiva temples
- Watch: Passenger plane dangerously oscillates before touching runway
- Yakub Memon's execution: Supreme Court Deputy Registrar quits over judgement
- Indian Army finds cow bombs near border, Maoists hand suspected?
- Govt formalises strategies to counter ISIS threat, maintain internal security
- Manbir Kaur becomes first Sikh girl in Pakistan to top Class 10 exam