Chidambaram visits Car Nicobar
Port Blair: Union Home Minister P
Chidambaram and Lt Governor, Lt Gen (retd.) Bhopinder
Singh laid a wreath at the Tsunami Memorial at Big Lapathy
village at the Car Nicobar yesterday.
After inspecting the Car Nicobar Coconut Mission at
the village, Chidamabaram appreciated the efforts of the
administration for introducing new technology for improvement
of agriculture practices by the people for high yielding
coconut plants, the main source of livelihood of the people of
the Nicobar islands.
The minister met members of the Tribal Council, Car
Nicobar at Perka village and appreciated the courage and
resilience of the Nicobarese people in rebuilding their
He also praised the joint family system being adopted
by the Nicobarese and their traditional way of life.
At the Raj Niwas, Chidamabaram met representatives of
fishermen, craftsmen, ex-servicemen from Campbell.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends