Congress, AIADMK oppose plan for new Assembly building
Puducherry: Opposition Congress and AIADMK on Tuesday opposed the AINRC Government`s move for a new Rs 500 crore Assembly premises in the union territory, saying it was a step in the wrong direction in view of critical financial position.
Leader of the Opposition in the Assembly and former chief minister V Vaithilingam told reporters here that the government was already in deep waters and in critical financial position even to implement several welfare measures.
"In the circumstances the move to raise palatial premises on an extent of seven acres for the Assembly is a step in the wrong direction," he said urging Chief Minister N Rangasamy to drop the move.
Vaithilingam claimed that the Planning Commission had not given its nod for the new Assembly building when funds were sought by the Chief Minister.
He also flayed the permission granted to a private player to run a liquor shop in a dense residential area in Samipillaithottam near here.
AIADMK local unit Secretary A Anbalagan, MLA, also opposed the move for a new Assembly premises.
The proposal to have new premises was dropped some years ago, he told reporters and wondered how it had been revised now.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Panel discussion over why SP government is backing Gayatri Prajapati
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- 7th Pay Commission: Allowances committee raises HRA to 30%?
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan