Congress MLAs observe fast seeking probe into `corruption` in govt
Puducherry: All seven opposition Congress MLAs went on a one-day fast on the Assembly premises seeking a probe into alleged corruption and malpractices in implementing various schemes and also in functioning of government owned undertakings in the Union Territory.
Leader of the opposition and former chief minister V Vaithilingam, who led the fast, told reporters that a detailed memorandum had already been submitted to Lt Governor Virendra Kataria a few days ago, listing various `malpractices` in the Rangasamy led AINRC government.
He demanded a detailed probe by a sitting judge of the Madras High Court.
Vaithlingam alleged that no schemes had been implemented in the constituencies held by the opposition Congress
The other legislators on fast are Theni C Jayakumar, E Valsaraj, Malladi Krishna Rao, PN Tirumourougan, K Lakshminarayanan and A Namassivayam.
Speaker V Sabapathy rushed to the spot on receiving information of the fast and told them they had the right to air their grievances, but that the assembly premises was not the venue for it.
He later spoke to Chief Minister N Rangasamy over phone and again met the MLAs, who had by then shifted their fast venue close to the main entrance to the Assembly hall.
Meanwhile, opposition AIADMK described the fast as a political drama and an attempt to pressure the Chief Minister to extending AINRC`s support to Congress in the coming Lok Sabha polls and demanded that government be dismissed.
Party`s local unit secretary A Anbalagan told reporters corruption was eating into every sector under AINRC rule and that Rangasamy had no right to continue in office as various malpractices had eroded the confidence of the people in the government.
He alleged that the Lt Governor had done nothing to curb the malpractices despite the MLAs submitting a memorandum to him some time back.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NHRC issues notice to Rajasthan government over death of 11 children in home
- Delhi: 10-year-old boy dies due to overdose of Vitamin D
- Haryana: Groom injured in celebratory firing at wedding in Hissar
- Phase V of West Bengal Assembly polls starts today
- Discussion over Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim's 'mini Pakistan' comment
- Nobody can portray Lakhan better than me: Anil Kapoor
- PHOTOS: How Mumbai Indians' captain Rohit Sharma celebrated his 29th birthday!
- Mamata Banerjee's close aide Firhad Hakim describes West Bengal's Garden Reach as 'mini-pakistan', draws flak
- Top five health benefits of raspberries!
- Rs 100 crore mark still too far for Shah Rukh Khan's 'Fan'?