Cyclone Helen: Puducherry CM seeks Rs 9 cr relief
Puducherry: Chief Minister N Rangasamy has sought Rs nine crore central aid to fishermen, agriculturists and those who lost their homes in `Cyclone Helen` in Yanam region, an enclave of Puducherry in Andhra Pradesh.
He said the Union Territory had from its own funds initiated steps to provide aid and that he would visit Yanam on on December 10 to distribute relief to the affected people.
"In the meanwhile, we have sought Rs nine crore from the Centre to manage the situation", he said.
Around 285 hectares of farmlands with paddy ready for harvest and more than 485 fishing boats were lost in the cyclone. One fisherman was killed in the storm in Yanam which suffered damage when the storm hit the region.
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part II
- Will Sonia Gandhi reveal the truth behind AgustaWestland chopper scam?-Part III
- DNA: Media bribed for suppressing details of AgustaWestland chopper scam
- DNA: India's own GPS system, IRNSS-G1 successfully launched
- Campaigning ends for Bengal polls fifth phase
- Turkish scribes get two years jail for publishing Prophet cartoon
- 60 percent voting in 2nd phase of panchayat polls in Bihar
- Prosecutors says ISIS ordered Italian resident to attack Rome
- Bomb blast in Assam's Tinsukia area; dozens injured, some in serious condition