Daman, Diu, Dadra & Nagar Haveli demand separate assembly
Daman: A rally was organised demanding constitution of an Assembly in the Union Territories of Daman, Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli here.
Under the leadership of Daman and Diu zilla panchayat president Ketan Patel, youths took out a peaceful rally on the occasion of Gandhi Jayanti from Somnath junction.
Addressing the gathering, Patel, who is also a Congress leader, said that Daman, Diu and Dadra and Nagar Haveli are two different Union Territories administered by officers from Delhi.
He said people have to face numerous problems to get their work done from the officers due to the absence of Assembly.
In order to obtain a passport, residents have to go all the way to Mumbai. Similarly, they have to go to Mumbai to fight legal cases in the Bombay High Court, he said.
Patel further added that there were no schemes for upliftment of tourism and industries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Afzal Guru row: JNU Students' Union president Kanhaiya Kumar arrested
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU
- DNA: Analysis on actions taken against students protesting at JNU - Part II
- Watch: How students at JNU showcased anti-India spirit! - Part II
- DNA: Gravitational waves detected, proving Einstein right!
- Kidnappers treated me well, gave me money to reach home: Snapdeal executive Dipti Sarna's 36-hour ordeal
- Why Modi never spoke on issues like beef or Muzaffarnagar, asks Manmohan Singh
- Valentine week: Celebrate 'Kiss Day' with these unique kisses!
- 4th ODI: South Africa vs England - Hosts win game by solitary wicket to level series
- JNUSU prez Kanhaiya Kumar sent to 3-day police custody over Afzal Guru row, says being targeted for defeating ABVP in polls