Elections for 12 gram panchayats in Chandigarh on December 15
Chandigarh: Elections to 12 gram panchayats in Chandigarh will be held on December 15 and the model code of conduct came into force in the rural areas on Friday.
The term of all the present 12 panchayats will expire in January next year, a spokesman said here today.
"The State Election Commission, UT Chandigarh in consultation with the Administrator, UT Chandigarh, has decided to hold the next general elections to all the 12 gram panchayats in Chandigarh on December 15, before the date of expiry of their term," he said.
The gram panchayats where the post of `sarpanch` (village head) is reserved are Kishangarh, Kaimbwala, Behlana, Raipur Kalan, Makhanmajra and Khuda Jassu.
The model code of conduct has come into force in the rural areas of Chandigarh from today, the spokesman said.
"Election advertisements to be given by candidate on TV channels and for cable operators will be regulated by the area Sub-Divisional Magistrate for granting prior permission," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says