Establish quality academic institutions: Prez
Puducherry: President Pranab Mukherjee on Wednesday said steps should be taken to make the country the seat of world class learning by establishing quality academic institutions.
Recalling the pride of place the country had carved out for itself about 1,800 years ago beginning from 6th century BC during which ancient Indian universities like Nalanda, Takshashila, Vikramshila and Valabhi, Somapura and Odantapuri were the "seats of world class universities", he said there is a dearth of quality academic institutions now.
"There is a dearth of quality academic institutions to prepare our next generation. Indian universities are not counted amongst the top-ranked universities in the world," he said at the 23rd Convocation of the Pondicherry University here.
"The central importance of higher education in a country`s development is well recognised. If we are to grow as a nation, the education system has to figure prominently in the template of progress," he said.
Recalling his experience as a teacher before joining public life, Mukherjee said the faculty is the "life blood" of a university and they must continuously renew their understanding of the subject.
Noting that Right to Education was a reality in the country, the President said, "We have to now stress on Right Education."
A university has to be a temple of learning, of humanism, tolerance and balanced reasoning, he said and added, "Let us together bring the changes required to make our present higher education system shine brightly once again."
Teaching and research were the two eyes of a university, he said, adding while high standards in teaching have to be achieved, high quality research that will push knowledge frontiers and evolve technologies for development had to be promoted.
Innovations should create livelihood and improve the quality of life in rural areas, he said and advocated that local technological needs have to be addressed by universities by creating research and development centres for such technologies in their campuses.
Research campuses also have to be set up in rural areas to act as fountain heads for innovation and technology-led growth in these regions, he said.
Lt Governor of Puducherry and Chief Rector of the University Virendra Kataria, Chief Minister N Rangasamy and Minister of State in PMO V Narayansamy also attended the convocation function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow