Fifteen arrested for intruding into Jarawa areas
Port Blair: In separate incidents, 15
people have been arrested under provisions of the Protection
of Aboriginal Tribes (PAT) Regulation, 1956 for intruding into
Jarawa areas in the Andaman and Nicobar islands.
While six persons, all residents of Junglighat, were
arrested from a fishing trawler near Bamboonallah, three
mechanised fishing boats were intercepted at Hiren Tikery,
Badabaalu and Havabill island and nine persons arrested, the
police said on Thursday
The fishing trawler and the boats were also seized.
The operation was conducted by Ograbraj police station
under the supervision of deputy superintendent of police Vinit
Kumar since January 10, the police said.
During the intensive search of the long coast line area
from Herbertabad to Hiren Tikri covering Jhaukona, Bada Balu,
Lamba Balu, Bamboo Nallah and Hawa Bill Island, a commercial
fishing trawler was sighted along the shore near Bamboo
Nallah. After a long chase, the trawler was intercepted and
the six persons were arrested.
During further search, three mechanized fishing boats
and one non-mechanized oar boat were intercepted at three
places and nine persons arrested.
Meanwhile, the general public and fishermen have been
cautioned not to venture into the Jarawa Reserve Forest Area
which stretches up to 5 km on sea from the High Tide Line of
Western Coast of Middle Andaman Area as it is a punishable
offence under PAT Regulation.
According to reports, there are just 403 surviving
members of the Jarawa tribe who live in reserve forests on
The police said the arrests were not related to the
video-clip controversy involving Jarawa women that erupted
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow